I learnt this method of making sambar from my good friend Sara. When we had guest for lunch, Sara told me to try this and it was highly appreciated by our guest. Ingredients for this is as same as any sambar but only the method differs. You try this and definitely see the change in taste.
Toor dal – 1 cup
Drumstick – 2 chopped small pieces
Onion – 1 medium sized chopped
Tomato – 1 chopped
Tamarind – small lemon sized
Green chillies – 2 cut lenghwise
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Sambar powder – 3 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Methi seeds – less than 1/4tsp
Salt – as required
Oil – 2 tsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Coriander leaves – few
- Cook toor dal till mushy. Keep aside.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup water.
- Heat 1tsp of oil in a pan add methi seeds.
- When it turns brown add onions, green chillies and saute.
- When onion turns golden add drumstick, cover and cook for a minute.
- Add tomatoes,turmeric powder, red chilli powder, sambar powder and asafoetida.
- Stir well and cook until tomatoes turn mushy.( If needed add little water)
- Add cooked toor dal along with required water. Let it boil thoroughly.
- When veggies cooked add tamarind extract. Add salt and let it boil till raw smell goes. Switch off.
- Heat oil and ghee in another pan. Temper all the ingredients under ‘to temper’ and add to the sambar.
- Cover it for few minutes. Serve hot with rice, idli, dosa.
- You can add any veggies you like.
- You can add 1/2 cup toor dal and 1/2 cup masoor dal.
- Adjust spice level according to your taste.