This is a simple dal dish to have with cooked rice.
Toor dal – 1/2 cup
Shallots – 6 to 8( chopped roughly)
Tomato – 1 medium sized chopped
Green chilli – 2 slit length wise
Garlic – 2 pods
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – a generous pinch
Salt – as required
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Coriander leaves – few
Oil/ ghee – 2 tsp
- Pressure cook cleaned toor dal along required water to 2 whistles.
- Add remaining ingredients except salt and pressure cook for another two whistles.
- After pressure released, open the lid. Add salt and smash with a laddle.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan. Temper all the ingredients under ‘ to temper’ and pour over dal.
- Serve warm with cooked rice along pappads or fryums.