This is a traditional Kerala ( a south Indian state) dish. No special occasion is complete without this aviyal. As far I know it is prepared differently in different parts of Kerala. This is Palakkad style which is my home town.?
This is so flavour full dish. Hope you all like this and give a try.
Mixed veggies – 2 cups chopped into 2 inch ( I used carrot, white pumpkin,potato, beans, drumstick)
Coconut – 1/2 cup grated
Jeera – 2tsp
Green chilli – 2
Curd / Yogurt – 1/4 cup
Curry leaves – few
Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Grind coconut,jeera and green chilli to coarse paste.
- In a deep dish or kadai, add all veggies except white pumpkin with water almost covering the veggies and cook.
- After 5 minutes add white pumpkin along other veggies and cook till it’s half cooked.
- Drain water and add ground coconut paste to veggies.
- Mix gently and cook till veggies are done.
- Add salt and curd.
- Mix gently till curd coats uniformly. Be careful not to mash veggies.
- Cook for a minute, when it starts bubbling add curry leaves and drizzle coconut oil, cover it. Switch off immediately.
- Leave for two minutes. Let the flavour blend.( When you open the lid , you will love that aroma)
- Serve warm with cooked rice.
- Use the drained water to make rasam or to knead chapathi dough.
- Coconut oil is must for this dish. Only that gives the flavour.
- You can use any veggies like yam, cucumber etc.
- Add white pumpkin 5 minutes after adding other veggies as it cooks fast.