Many of us wont like bitter gourd especially kids because of its bitterness. But it is loaded with nutrients.So just try to make it tastier instead of avoiding it. This is one such kind of yummy recipe even kids will say “yes” to bitter gourd.
Bitter gourd – 3 medium sized
Onions – 1 cup finely chopped
Coconut – 1/2 cup grated
Channa dal – 2 tbsn
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Salt – as required
Curry leaves – few
Oil – 2 tsp
- Cut half the bitter gourd lengthwise, deseed and cut to thin pieces.
- In a bowl add bitter gourd, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add channa dal, when it turns golden add onions and curry leaves.
- When onion turns golden add grated coconut and stir for a minute.
- Add marinated bitter gourd. Cook covered in medium flame.
- Check for salt and add if necessary.
- Stir at regular intervals to avoid burning.
- When it’s done cook uncovered for few more minutes in slow flame.
- You can drizzle oil on sides occasionally.
- Cook till bitter gourd turns golden.
- Serve with rice.