Today I give you a recipe from my homeland, a Stew. There are lots of types of stews, both vegetarian and non vegetarian. Our today’s recipe is vegetarian ☺. This is one of my favorite. This is so simple, easy yet full of flavor of coconut milk.
I used canned coconut milk here. But I say if you can,use fresh coconut milk, you can get more flavorful stew?.
Have you entered the giveaway. If not, please do. You will have a chance to win a Grocery tote with 4 assorted gluten free, free from top 8 allergens food products. Check out Namaste Gluten free Marble Cake – Namaste food product review and Give away.
Potato – 1 big or 2 medium sized
Carrot – 1 big
Onion – 1/2 cup chopped
Ginger – 1/2 tbsn chopped finely
Green chilli – 2 or 3 slit lengthwise
Thick Coconut milk – 1 cup
Salt – as required
Curry leaves – few
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Boil or pressure cook potatoes and carrots till cooked. Not mushy. (If pressure cook just till 2 whistles)
- Peel the skin and chop it to small cubes.
- In a pot, add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water.
- When it starts to boil, add chopped onions, ginger and green chillies.
- When the onions turns transparent, add cubed potato and carrot.
- Add salt and slightly mash one or two potatoes. This gives little thickness to the stew.
- When it thoroughly boils and raw smell of onions are no more, simmer the flame and add coconut milk.
- Stir well. Do not let it boil severely after adding coconut milk. Just 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add Curry leaves and drizzle coconut oil.
- Switch off the flame and cover the pot with lid. This helps to lock the flavor of coconut oil and curry leaves in stew.
- Serve warm with Appam, idli or dosa.