Disclaimer: This post contains affliate links. Check here for disclosure.
Hi friends, how the summer is treating you?Did summer officially started? Here in Texas i started feeling the heat. Friends here say it will be still worse in June , July. Lets see.
Today’s recipe has nothing to do with summer. But when I say summer , it reminds me of my homeland. This dish is one of the popular South Indian dish.I believe any Indian would be aware of Sambar idli. Most of the South Indian restaurant can’t miss this dish in their menu. One of the most ordered dish also will be this. Even we make idli in our household normally, this Sambar idli holds special place. Idli are steamed rice cakes( No, this is not that dessert cake) made with Idli batter. Those idlis are soaked in sambar.
It is then served with a dollop of ghee ( clarified butter). Believe me it tastes heaven. Here I made mini idlis, layered it with sambar. You can buy mini idli pan Here. I got mine from India.Make sure the idlis soak in sambar at least for 2-3 hours. Though its not mandatory I prefer this way as this incorporates the taste well. Hope you give a try and enjoy this dish.
Idli batter – As required
Sambar – As required
Ghee / Clarified butter – 1 tsn
- Steam mini idlis in mini idli pan.
- When its ready, remove it in a bowl.
- In another bowl, layer four or five idlis. Pour one or two laddle of sambar.
- Repeat this for three layers. Final layer should be sambar.
- Pour more sambar as it will shrink after soaking. So add accordingly.
- Let it rest for atleast 2-3 hours.
- Serve with a tsp of ghee on top.
- I showed here the single serving . If you want to serve for more than one, make each in separate bowls.
- You can make this in normal idlis too. For that you don’t have to layer like this. Just pour sambar over top of the idlis till fully sunk.