This is my MIL s recipe. Before marriage for me, sambar means , only with dal . But this was new to me when I went to my husband’s home. This goes well with idli and dosa.
Onion – 1/2 cup chopped
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – as required
Curry leaves – few
Coriander leaves – few
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
Tomato – 1 medium sized
Roasted channa dal/ pottu kadalai – 2 tbsn
Dry Red chilli – 1
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Cinnamon – a small piece
Cloves – 2
Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Khus khus – 1/4 tsp
Ginger – a small piece
Garlic – 3 pods
- Grind all ingredients under ‘to grind’ except tomato to coarse.
- Then add tomato and grind to smooth.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add onions and sauté till golden.
- Then add ground coconut paste and required water.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Let it boil till raw smell goes.
- Add required salt.
- Add coriander leaves and switch off.
- Serve with idli or dosa.
- This sambar will thicken as boils, so add water accordingly.
- My dry red chilli is very spicy, so adjust yours as required.