I know most of the people don’t like upma. On hearing the name itself make them say ‘No’. But even to my surprise my both kids love it. So that’s a great relief for me when I have to make breakfast when no other option left.??
Rava / Fine Sooji – 1 cup
Onion – 1/2 cup chopped
Carrot – 1/4 cup chopped finely
Ginger – 1/2 tsp finely chopped
Green chilli – 2 slit lengthwise
Water – 3 cups
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – as required
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Channa dal – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Dry roast rava/ Sooji for a minute and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper all ingredients under ‘ to temper’.
- When channa dal turns golden add onions, green chilli and ginger.
- Sauté till onions turn transparent.
- Add carrot and cover and cook for a minute.
- Add water, turmeric powder and required salt.
- When the water starts boiling add roasted rawa slowly stirring simultaneously to avoid lumps.
- Cover and cook till all water is absorbed.
- Stir it. Switch off once cooked.
- Serve warm with sambar or chutney.
- You can add veggies like beans or peas.
- For kids drizzle a spoon of ghee over upma while serving.