If you are in weight reduction resolution like me? then add white pumpkin in your diet. Here is one recipe that will help you include pumpkin.
White pumpkin/ Kumbalanga- 1 cup chopped ( peeled,deseeded)
Toor dal – 1/2 cup
Shallots – 5 or 6 slit in two
Tomato – 1 medium
Tamarind – small lemon sized
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Salt – as required
Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
Jeera – 1 tsp
Shallots – 1
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Garlic – 1 or pods smashed in mortar and pestle
- Pressure cook toor dal till mushy.
- Ground the ingredients under ‘to grind’ to smooth paste with required water.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup water and extract tamarind juice.
- Add white pumpkin/kumbalanga, shallots and tomato to cooked dal.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder to it along little water and cook till veggies are done.
- Add tamarind extract and salt.
- After the raw smell of tamarind goes, add ground coconut paste with required water.
- Let it boil thoroughly.Adjust water according to the pouring consistency of the curry.
- Remove curry from the flame and heat oil in a pan.
- Temper all the ingredients under ‘to temper’. When garlic turns brown add it to the curry.
- Serve warm with rice.
- You can use any oil, but coconut oil gives nice flavor and aroma.