Ridge gourd is vegetable which comes in cucumber family. It has anti inflammatory effects. It’s rich in fibre. So if you are in diet to reduce your weight, include this vegetable in your diet. This is also called as Chinese Okra.
There are many yummy dishes made using ridge gourd. Here I give you a yummy stir fry.
Ridge gourd/Peerkankai – 1 medium sized
Onion – 1/2 cup finely chopped
Tomato – 1 chopped
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Salt – as required
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Channa dal – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Peel the ridges of the gourd using a peeler. Cut into half lengthwise, deseed and cut into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. Crackle mustard seeds.
- Add channa dal. When it turns golden add onions and curry leaves.
- When onion turns translucent add turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Sauté for a minute. Add tomato and chopped gourd.
- Give a stir. Cook covered in a medium flame. Do not add water.
- When it’s half done add salt. Stir occasionally.The veggie oozes lots of water.
- When it’s cooked, switch off.
- Serve along with rice.