Kids are hard to please when it comes to feed. They don’t eat vegetables as such. It has to be disguised in the form of dish they like. So Mom’s like me have to think about incorporating vegetables in toddlers food in any possible way. This Aloo Poori is the result of that.
This dish came out of that thinking . When I give my kids normal poori( deep fried Indian bread) and potato masala, they finish only the poori. The masala will be abandoned in their plate?. So I incorporated potato in the dough itself to make poori. They loved it. It’s a total win. Hope you also try this.
Potato – 2 big ( I used golden variety)
Whole wheat flour – 1 1/2 to 2 cups ( see notes)
Rava / Semolina – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
White sesame seeds – 1/2 tsp
Salt – as required
Water – as required
Oil – to deep fry
- Pressure cook or microwave potatoes till cooked.
- Peel the skin off. Mash it to smooth.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, sesame seeds and salt. Mix it.
- Add flour and semolina mixture little by little till you form smooth but firm dough.
- Sprinkle little water to knead.
- Divide the dough into small balls.
- Roll the balls to 1/4 inch thick flat bread using rolling pin.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, deep fry the rolled Puri in medium flame.
- Slightly immerse the Puri in oil using laddle. This helps the Puri to puff up.
- When one side is done ,turn the Puri using laddle.
- When done remove it to paper towel.
- Repeat with other rolled puris too.
- Serve as such or with your favorite gravy.
- The whole wheat flour used depends on the moisture of the potatoes.
- Adjust the spice powders as required.