I have earlier posted various sambar recipes . This is different from them . Today I give you sambar made of moongdal or split green gram dal. It tastes different from Toor Dal in which normally sambar are made.
Moongdal / Split green gram dal – 3/4 cup
Mixed veggies – 1/2 cup ( I used cauliflower florets, carrots and potatoes)
Onion – 1/4 cup chopped
Tomato – 1 medium sized chopped
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Sambar powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
Asafoetida – a generous pinch
Salt – as required
Tamarind – a small lemon size
Oil – 1 tsp
Ghee – tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Jeera seeds – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Coriander leaves – few
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup water. Extract tamarind pulp. Keep aside.
- Pressure cook moongdal with required water for 2 whistles.
- Add all cubed veggies, onions and tomatoes to cooked moongdal.
- Add turmeric powder, sambar powder and Asafoetida. Add required water.
- Let the veggies get cooked in medium flame. I don’t pressure cook after adding veggies.
- When the veggies are cooked, add tamarind pulp and required salt.
- Let it boil. When the raw smell of tamarind goes, remove the pan from flame.
- Heat oil and ghee in another pan. Temper all ingredients under ‘ to temper’ and add to the cooked sambar.
- Serve along with hot rice , idli, dosa or pongal.
- You can add veggies of your choice.
- If you don’t have Sambar powder, add 1 tsp of red chilli powder and 2 tsp of coriander powder.
- Adjust spice level up to your palatte.
- Spice level I given here is mild.