Disclaimer: This post contains affliated link. Check here to see disclosure.
Today’s recipe comes from the Western part of Tamil Nadu, South India. This is a famous dish among that area. I think every household in that place will have their own version of making this ArisiParuppu Saadam.
But I haven’t had this dish until I’m married. So obviously I learnt this from my Mom – in – law. In my husbands home this is made at least once a week. Its one of my husbands favorite too. So I have to learn to make this. I have seen my mom in law make this so easily. Now I to learnt to make it in jiffy , but in my trusted Rice cooker. I use this one. This have lot of options like slow cooker, brown rice, soup, oats and many. The rice cooks perfectly and I love how i don’t have to always keep an eye on rice. Just set it and forget. When its cooked it goes to warm mode and also it alarms you with sound.
Now coming to the recipe, its so simple, easy to make. Though I have made a lot of times, I never got to click pictures. So this time I made sure to take picture before digging into it.Just add all ingredients into rice cooker,that’s it. Done . How easy, Right? Just have to soak rice and dal at least 30 minutes before. It helps lentils to cook well. In my husbands aunt home they add some grated coconut too. It enhances the taste. However I give here without coconut. I hope you try this and give me your valuable feedback.
Rice – 1 1/2 cups (i used Ponni Parboiled)
Toor dal – 1/4 cup
Shallots – 6 or 7 peeled and sliced
Tomato – 1 big chopped
Garlic – 2 or 3 pods peeled
Jeera – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – A generous pinch
Curry leaves – few
Oil – 1 tsp
Ghee / Clarified butter – 1 tsp
Water – 4 cups
Salt – as required
- Soak rice and too Dal for at least 30 minutes. Then drain water and keep aside.
- In a pan heat oil, crackle mustard seeds and jeera.
- Add Shallots, Curry leaves and garlic.
- Saute’ till shallots turns golden. Add tomatoes and turmeric powder, red chilli powder and Asafoetida.
- Saute’ till raw smell goes. Add soaked and drained rice, toor Dal.
- Mix thoroughly. Add this to rice cooker pan. Add water and required salt.
- Switch on the rice cooker and click white rice button.
- When done serve warm with ghee and fryums.