Today I give you a recipe from my homeland, a vegetable stew.
Kerala Vegetable stew
There are lots of types of stews, both vegetarian and non vegetarian. Our today’s recipe is vegetarian. This is one of my favorite. This is so simple, easy yet full of flavor of coconut milk.
I used canned coconut milk here. But I say if you can,use fresh coconut milk, you can get more flavorful stew.
Have you entered the giveaway. If not, please do. You will have a chance to win a Grocery tote with 4 assorted gluten free, free from top 8 allergens food products. Check out Namaste Gluten free Marble Cake – Namaste food product review and Give away.
Other curries for you
Potato – 1 big or 2 medium sized
Carrot – 1 big
Onion – 1/2 cup chopped
Ginger – 1/2 tbsn chopped finely
Green chilli – 2 or 3 slit lengthwise
Thick Coconut milk – 1 cup
Salt – as required
Curry leaves – few
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Boil or pressure cook potatoes and carrots till cooked. Not mushy. (If pressure cook just till 2 whistles)
- Peel the skin and chop it to small cubes.
- In a pot, add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water.
- When it starts to boil, add chopped onions, ginger and green chillies.
- When the onions turns transparent, add cubed potato and carrot.
- Add salt and slightly mash one or two potatoes. This gives little thickness to the stew.
- When it thoroughly boils and raw smell of onions are no more, simmer the flame and add coconut milk.
- Stir well. Do not let it boil severely after adding coconut milk. Just 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add Curry leaves and drizzle coconut oil.
- Switch off the flame and cover the pot with lid. This helps to lock the flavor of coconut oil and curry leaves in stew.
- Serve warm with Appam, idli or dosa.
Pin Vegetable Stew
Did you try this recipe? Then please do snap a picture and share it in Instagram with #lathiskitchen. I would like to see and share your creation.
Do you love this recipe? Then share it and you can also follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram for regular updates. Do not forget to subscribe us to get the yummy recipes right into your inbox for free.
If you liked this recipe,please do say few words in the below comment box and rate it which makes me to try new recipes.