Bitter gourds are one of the most nutritious veggie. But is hated by most of the people at same time because of its bitterness.
This is one easy and yummy recipe to include the bitter gourd in your diet. When you have this curry, you don’t even know how much you eat. This is a thick curry to have along with some hot rice.
Pavaika/ Bitter gourd – 1 medium sized
Shallots – 6
Tomato – 1 medium sized chopped
Tamarind – half lemon sized
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Jaggery – a small piece
Salt – as required
Mustard seeds – few
Methi seeds – 4 or 5
Curry leaves – few
Oil – 1 tsp
- Cut the bitter gourd to half and deseed. Cut it to thin pieces.
- Soak tamarind in half cup water and extract tamarind pulp.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds along methi seeds.
- Add shallots and curry leaves.
- When shallots turns golden add tomato.
- Sauté it for a minute. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder.
- Sauté till tomatoes become mushy.
- Add chopped bitter gourd. Cook covered for few minutes. Stir occasionally.
- When it’s almost done add tamarind extract, jaggery and salt.
- Allow it boil till raw smell goes and thickens.
- Serve warm with rice.