This is a Royal dish from Hyderabadi Mugal cuisine. I saw this dish on a TV cookery show. On seeing how easy to make this, I thought to give it a try. The name’Almond coins’ is kept by me for easy understanding?.
Almonds – 1 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup ( divide into two halves)
Water – 2 cup
- Boil water. Add almonds and let it stay for 5 minutes.
- Switch off and drain. Peel off the skin of almonds.
- Blend almonds and half of sugar to smooth paste. Don’t add water. If there is chunks, let it be.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan or non stick pan add ground paste and stir for two minutes.
- Then add remaining sugar and mix continuously without burning for almost 15 mins.
- Switch off. Transfer it to plate.
- When it cools down, divide it into small balls and make into discs. If it sticks on your hand, grease your hand with ghee / clarified butter.
- The original recipe used a dash of saffron and Almond extract.
- If you are using then add saffron when heating the ground mixture and Almond extract before making it into coins.
- This is gooey chewy dish.