Zunka - A Maharashtrian dish
Zunka is a traditional dish which is usually had with roti.Zunka is made with Besan/ Chickpea Flour as a main ingredient
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 2 people
- 1/2 Cup Besan/Chickpea Flour
- 1/2 Cup Onions Chopped
- 2 Nos Green Chili Chopped
- 2 Nos Garlic Pods Chopped
- 1/4 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- Asafoetida a Pinch
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- Salt As Required
- 3 Tbsn Oil
- Cilantro As required
Mix besan, red Chili powder and salt in a bowl. Add 1 cup water and whisk to make a batter without any lumps.
In a pan or kadai,heat oil.
Add mustard seeds. When it crackle,add cumin seeds.
Add green chili,asafoetida,onions and turmeric powder.
Saute' till onions turn translucent.
Add the besan mixture to it and mix stir in low flame.
Check for salt.
The mixture starts thickening and leaving the sides of the pan.
Drizzle a tsp of oil and cover it for few minutes.
The raw smell of besan should go away.
Add chopped cilantro and switch off.Serve warm with roti.
- Adjust green chili and red chili powder as per your spice requirements.
- You can also Whole Red Chili.
- After adding the besan mixture,turn the flame to low or the mixture will not cook and it gets thicken.